Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rumors of God

I was a little disappointed when I received my latest book to review for Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze. I hadn't realized it was associated with Willow Creek. I'm not really against Willow Creek it is just that everything I've seen come out of there is seeker sensitive squishiness. So when I got “Rumors of God: Experience the Kind of Faith You've Only Heard About” by Darren Whitehead and Jon Tyson I wasn't really expecting much.


To top it off the back of the book has in all caps and bold letters, “Where is the life God promised us?” which of course leads me to expect prosperity gospel.


Well it actually turned out to be quite the opposite. Take, for example, this exert:


"Living in a consumer culture reverses the biblical vision: 'To live is gain and to die is Christ'. It is a quiet subversion of the meaning and purpose of our lives. Accumulate as much as you can. Build bigger barns, then take life easy - eat, drink, and be merry. After enjoying the benefits of indulgent living, when you die you go to be with Christ. The great tragedy of materialistic America is not financial abundance, but spiritual poverty."


I thought that was a great piece of wisdom.


There is a lot of wisdom in the book, but ultimately it is not very unique and unfortunately doesn't use Scripture to support it's arguments. David Platt's “Radical” was a better version of the same story.


Still if you really need the extra kick in the pants then pick up a copy.








No comments:

Post a Comment