Monday, October 25, 2010

San Antonio Independent Christian Film Academy Day 1

Today has been quite a world-wind. I woke up at 4:45am and headed to the airport and after a a brief layover in Chicago I made it to San Antonio, TX.

I finally got to go to the world famous Whataburger. It was pretty good, but I was so rushed I didn't get to enjoy it much.

What a blessing it was to finally meet the guys from http://IllBeHonest.com I haven't had much time to talk to them yet. The Grace house, where I'm staying, has 17 guys living there. It is pretty packed. It'll be a blessing getting to know them.

Sadly I missed the first session because of my late flight and that was the only session that Kirk Cameron was going to be doing. Looks like he headed on out and I won't get to meet him.

I did make it for the afternoon session and I must admit I've been blown away. I knew that it would be a Christian conference, but I never expected it to be so Christ-centered.

The speakers have truly been a blessing. More than anyone I'm amazed by Stephen Kendrick. While appreciating the films he has made (Flywheel, Facing the Giants, and Fireproof) I wasn't sure how Christ-centered he was, but from what I heard tonight I was convinced otherwise. Kendrick is one of the best speakers I've ever heard. I see why his movies have been so successful. He is a wonderful story teller for the Lord.

Besides the Christ-centered nature of the messages I've also learned a lot about how to direct actors and how to handle bad actors.

Here are the 7 points Kendrick focused on:

1) Pray Diligently!
2) Cast Wisely
3) Train Thoroughly
4) Direct Strategically
5) Creatively over-come weak Acting
6) Critique Brutally
7) Re-Edit Creatively

Of course he expanded on all of these, but you'd have to be here to get all of that.

During the dinner break I ran into a nice family, the Scott Family, from Houston. They attend Dr. Voddie Baucham's church. It is always a great blessing to meet the family of God. No matter where I go I find brothers and sisters in Christ and with them I have immediate connection. The Scott kids have a video in the semi-finalist section for the film fest in the Young Filmmakers category. It is a stop action film called “What is Duty?” I look forward to seeing it and you can see the trailer at: http://www.saicff.org/festival/program/films/entry/?id=f10093

For the after dinner session Kendrick spoke about his own testimony and about Sherwood Pictures latest film, Courageous. This movie focuses on fatherhood. After seeing the clips I can't wait to see the entire production and want to encourage the men to start planning now to go see it.

Watch the trailer at: http://www.CourageoustheMovie.com

It's been a wonderful day of blessings in the Lord. I look forward to seeing what God has in store for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment