Friday, November 19, 2010

Thankful for Spiritual Fathers

I think it is part of getting older and reflecting on what made us the men we are today.

As for my father, while I deeply love and respect him, he is not a Christian and so it is difficult to relate to him in most aspects of life. When it truly comes to godly wisdom and counsel he is not a man I can go to because he does not know God. I pray that will change and he will repent and believe the gospel at some point before he dies and faces the judgment of God.

So what am I to do about seeking that godly wisdom that God has made so clear that I truly need?

To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (2Ti 1:2)

To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior. (Tit 1:4)

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. (3Jn 1:4)


The Bible gives us several New Testament examples of “fathers in the faith.” These seem to be men who help to mentor and raise up fellow believers and act as an example for them to walk in holiness before the LORD.

These are men who are humble examples of Christ and strive to be more like Him.

I have truly been blessed these last few years to have several such men in my life. Men who aren't afraid to knock me around when needed or encourage me. Men who really just annoy the fire out of me at times, but even when I disagree with them I know it is always my best that is on their minds.

I'm truly thankful for men like these and I hope you have some fathers like this in your life as well.

If you do try to take the time to say thank you to both them and the heavenly Father who gave them to you.

In Christ, our Hope,

Jason Vaughn

No comments:

Post a Comment